Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 3 ½ hours
Ingredients needed to make Rag Pudding:
- 450 gm ground beef
- 4 large potatoes, chopped into dices
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 170 gm self-raising flour
- 120 ml milk
- 120 ml port
- 200 gm suet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 beef stock pot gel
Cooking instructions for Rag Pudding:
- Drizzle oil in a large sauté pan and place the ground beef into it.
- Sprinkle the chopped onion over it and sauté for 6-7 minutes, stirring often and breaking the clumps with the spatula, until the meat browns nicely and onions soften.
- Pour in a bout of port, followed by the stock pot gel and stir them all together along with corn flour until well combined.
- Bring them to a simmer and continue to do so for several minutes or until the rag pudding rolls are ready.
- Place the flour in a bowl and stir in the suet.
- Pour in 6 tbsp water and blend them together into a smooth dough.
- Transfer it onto a lightly floured working counter and knead for a minute to make it softer.
- Flatten it out, using a floured rolling pin, and slice it into five long strips.
- Spoon some of the browned meat mixture along each dough strip and wrap it around the filling.
- Cover the pastry rolls with a piece of clean muslin cloth and tie a kitchen twine around it to secure.
- Lower them into a large pot with enough water to immerse them completely.
- Simmer over slow flame for 3 hours or until the rag pudding is properly cooked.
- Meanwhile, plop the potatoes into another pot of boiling water and cook until they are fork-tender.
- Drain them out into a bowl and add butter, milk as well as salt and pepper into it.
- Mash them together, stirring the mixture at the same time, until they form a smooth mass and set aside.
- Remove the cloth from the puddings and arrange one on each serving plate.
- Serve hot alongside a splodge of mashed potatoes by the side.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons