Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Mexican Red Rice:
- 2 cups long grained white rice, uncooked
- 1 can(14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 jalapeno chiles, ribs removed, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 limes, sliced into wedges for garnishing
Cooking instructions for Mexican Red Rice:
- Dump the onions and tomatoes into the food processor and pulse them briefly for about 15 seconds until they blend into a smooth puree, scraping down any bits in the sides of the bowl of required.
- Pour the mixture into a measuring cup and measure upto 2 cups.
- Tip the cups of rice into a large fine mesh sieve and wash it under running cold water for about1 minute, until water runs clear.
- Shake it rigorously in the strainer to do away with any excess water.
- Drizzle oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, equipped with a tight-fitting lid.
- Heat it over moderately high heat and dump the rice into it.
- Sauté the rice for about 6 minutes, while stirring frequently, until it turns translucent and slightly golden on color.
- Lower the heat to medium and throw in half of the minced jalapenos and the garlic.
- Stir them all together to distribute them evenly throughout the mixture and continue to stir fry for half a minute, while stirring constantly until the mixture turns fragrant.
- Pour the prepared onion-tomato puree into this sautéed mixture, along with a splash of chicken broth as well as tomato paste and stir them all together until well combined.
- Season with a dash of sea salt and increase the heat to moderate-high to bring the mixture to a boil.
- Fasten the lid and reduce the mixture back to a gentle simmer.
- Continue to cook likewise for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Turn off the heat and remove the lid to stir the rice with a fork.
- Place the lid back on and let it rest for another 10 minutes.
- Add rest of the jalapenos and cilantro to it and give it a nice stir to mix well.
- Spoon it into serving plates and garnish with lime wedges by its side.
- Serve alongside your favourite Mexican side dish.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons