Makes: one 9 x13 dish
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Easy Lasagna:
- One package small, lasagna sheets
For the sauce:
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Two (28 oz) jars spaghetti sauce
For the filling:
- One packaged (15 oz) ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 8 oz cottage cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
Cooking instructions for Easy Lasagna:
- Warm up your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a skillet over moderate heat and cook the sausage until it browns on either side.
- Sprinkle the onion powder and continue to stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
- Empty the jars of spaghetti sauce into the skillet and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Season with a dash of salt and lots of black pepper and stir them all together to mix well.
- Reduce the heat and continue to simmer the sauce for about 10-15 minutes over slow flame.
- To cook the filling, toss the ricotta, parmesan and cottage cheese together in a medium mxing bowl and crack the egg into it.
- Stir them all together until they are properly blended into a uniform mixture and set aside.
- Spread about ¾ cup of the sauce across a pre-greased baking dish into an even layer and cover it with few sheets of lasagna.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese filling on top of the lasagna sheets and smother it with more of the prepared sauce.
- Top it up with ¼ cup of the mozzarella cheese and repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used up; reserve a cup of mozzarella for serving.
- Wrap the baking dish with a sheet of aluminum foil and bake at the preheated temperature for about 45 minutes.
- Do away with the foil and spread rest of the mozzarella on top.
- Return it to the oven and continue to bake, uncovered, for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place the baking dish on a wire rack for about 15-20 minutes to cool to some extent.
- Serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons