Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Canh Chua Ca:
- 12 oz catfish fillets, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored and sliced into wedges
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 6 fresh cilantro sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 8 oz okra, chopped into 1’’ chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce
- 2 tbsp Asian tamarind concentrate
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Sea salt to taste
Cooking instructions for Canh Chua Ca:
- Drizzle oil in a 4-quart saucepan and heat it over moderate flame.
- Throw in the onion slices and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until they soften.
- Sprinkle a dash of salt and sugar, followed by a splash of fish sauce and stir them all together along with the tamarind concentrate until well combined.
- Empty 6 cups of water into it and continue to cook the mixture until it starts boiling.
- Reduce it to a simmer and drop in the pineapple and fish chunks.
- Give them a nice stir to mix well and cook further for about 6 minutes or until the fish is properly cooked and the raw smell disappears.
- Stir in the okra and continue to simmer for another couple of minutes or until it softens yet retains it crispiness.
- Empty the cups of mung bean sprouts into the simmering soup, along with the tomatoes and sprinkle a dash of ground cumin into it.
- Cook briefly for just half a minute or until the sprouts wilts slightly and turn off the heat.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls and top each serving with chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot alongside steamed rice.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons