Preparation time: 12 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Tom Yum Talay:
- Handful of scallops
- Handful of fresh mussels
- 12 medium shrimps, shelled and deveined
- Handful of fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Handful of baby bok choy
- 1 medium tomato, sliced into thin strips
- 1 lemongrass stalk, minced
- 1 tsp galangal
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 red chilies, sliced
- Juice of a lime
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ can (14 oz) thick coconut milk
Cooking instructions for Tom Yum Talay:
- Empty the cups of broth into a large stock pot and drop in the lime leaves.
- Stir in the minced lemongrass and bring it to a boil over moderately high heat.
- Stir in the chili, garlic, ginger as well as mushrooms and reduce it to a simmer.
- Continue to cook over moderate heat for a couple of minutes or until the mushrooms soften.
- Dunk the shrimps, mussels ad scallops into the simmering soup , along with bok choy and tomato.
- Continue to simmer for another 4 minutes or until the flesh of the shrimp turns pinkish, scallops turn firm and the mussel shells open.
- Lower the heat slightly and pour in the coconut milk, followed by splashes of lime juice, soy sauce and fish sauce.
- Sprinkle the sugar over them and stir them all together to mix well.
- Simmer further until heated through and adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Stir in more coconut milk for creamier soup and ladle it into soup bowls.
- Sprinkle the fresh cilantro on top of each serving and serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons