Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Spicy Chicken Dumpling Soup:
For the dumplings:
- 13 oz ground chicken
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh ginger root, finely grated
- 2 ½ oz canned bamboo shoots, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the soup:
- 2 ½ oz rice noodles, soaked in water for half a minute and drained
- 4 baby bok choy, halved longitudinally
- 1/2’’ fresh ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 12 fl oz coconut milk
- 1 pinct 8 oz chicken stock
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 8 fresh cilantro sprigs
- 2 red chilies, deseeded and sliced
Cooking instructions for Spicy Chicken Dumpling Soup:
- To make the dumplings, place the ground chicken in a bowl and throw in the bamboos shoots and grated ginger.
- Add rest of the dumpling ingredients into the bowl and stir them all together to mix well.
- Take small portions of the chicken mixture in your moist palms and roll them into small globes; keep aside.
- To cook the soup, pour the coconut milk and chicken stock in a large saucepan and stir in the lime leaves and sliced ginger.
- Cook the mixture until it starts simmering and lower the heat slightly.
- Drop in the chicken dumplings and continue to simmer gently for 5 more minutes or until they are cooked properly.
- Beat in the lime juice, fish sauce and sugar until the latter dissolves and fold in the bok choy halves.
- Dump the rice noodles into the simmering soup and give it a nice stir to mix well.
- Continue to simmer until heated through and ladle it into serving bowls so that each serving receives equal number of dumplings.
- Sprinkle the sliced chili and cilantro leaves on top and serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons