Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Basmati- Black Eyed Peas Salad:
For the salad:
- ½ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup dried black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup Spanish olives, halved
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup basmati rice
- Salt to taste
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard, coarse-grained
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Cooking instructions for Basmati- Black Eyed Peas Salad:
- To prepare for the salad, drop the black-eyed peas into a saucepan and pour in 3 cups of water.
- Stir in ½ tsp salt and cook the mixture until it starts boiling.
- Continue to boil the peas for 4-5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Cover with a lid and let it stand for an hour before draining it out into a colander.
- Return the drained peas back into the pan along with a cup of fresh water and heat until it begins to simmer.
- Place a lid on top in such a way that the pan is covered partially and simmer the peas for 10 minutes, until just cooked al dente.
- Meanwhile, empty ½ cup rice into a clean saucepan, along with 1 ½ cups water and stir in the minced garlic.
- Cook the mixture until it starts simmering and continue to do so, covered, for 16 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and set aside to cool the cooked rice to cool down, while teasing it with the fork from time to time to fluff.
- To prepare the dressing, pour the vinegar, mustard, honey and a lashing of olive oil into a small glass bowl.
- Sprinkle the chopped cilantro, 1 tsp ground black pepper as well as ½ tsp salt over them and whisk them together thoroughly until well combined; taste and adjust the seasonings if required.
- To assemble the salad, tip the contents of the first saucepan with peas into a colander to drain and transfer the drained peas into a large salad bowl.
- Add the rice, olives, bell pepper and onion into it and toss to mix well.
- Drizzle the prepared dressing over them and toss further to coat properly with it.
- Leave in the fridge to chill until it is time to serve.
- Serve cold.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons