Preparation time: 10 mins + 30 mins (inactive)
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Chilled Soup:
- 1 lb 2 oz carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 handful green Gordal olives, pitted and halved
- 2 pink grapefruits, peeled and sliced
- 1 handful hazelnuts, crushed and toasted
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 punnet fresh coriander cress
- 2 oz butter
- 4 tbsp hazelnut oil
- 1 pint 7 fl oz water
- 5 fl oz milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for Chilled Soup:
- Heat a large saucepan over moderately high heat and add a dollop of butter into it.
- Heat until it melts completely and throw in the garlic as well as carrot slices.
- Sauté them for a couple of minutes over slightly reduced heat, while stirring often, and pour in the water.
- Sprinkle the fresh herb sprigs, salt and a dash of ground black pepper and give them a nice stir to mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and place a lid on top before cooking further for another 5 minutes or until the carrots soften.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the milk until just combined.
- Set aside until the soup cools down to some extent and tip it into a blender.
- Blitz the mixture into a smooth puree and strain it into a large bowl.
- Place a lid on top to cover and leave in the fridge for at least half an hour to chill.
- Ladle the chilled soup into flour soup bowls and sprinkle the nuts, olives and the coriander cress over each serving.
- Arrange the grapefruit slices on top to garnish and add a lashing of hazelnut oil over them.
- Serve cold.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons