Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Ingredients needed to make Frittata Lorraine:
- 12 large eggs
- 4 medium shallots, halved longitudinally and finely sliced crosswise
- 6-8 oz Canadian bacon, diced
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 ¾ cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
Cooking instructions for Frittata Lorraine:
- Place the rack midway within the oven and warm it up to high heat.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and empty 1 ¼ cups cheese into it.
- Whisk them together along with milk and a dash of salt until the yolks break down and form a smooth mixture.
- Beat in ground black pepper generously until well combined and set aside.
- Toss the butter cubes into an oven-proof skillet, along with a lashing of oil and heat over moderately high flame until the former melts.
- Throw in the shallots and stir fry, along with a dash of seasonings, for about 3 minutes or until they soften.
- Stir in the bacon as well as chopped herbs and continue to sauté further for another 3 minutes or until they brown nicely.
- Drizzle the egg blend over the sautéed mixture and cook over slightly reduced heat, undisturbed, for about 15 minutes or until the egg is set around the edges.
- Top it up with rest of the cheese and place it in the hot broiler to broil for about 4 minutes or until the frittata is cooked through and it puffs up.
- Remove from oven and serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons