Yields: 48 servings
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Crispelle Di Riso:
For the rice fritters:
- 2 ½ cups Arborio rice, uncooked
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 7 ½ cups water
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the pine nut sauce:
- 3 ½ cups pine nuts
- 15 tbsp water
- 5 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 15 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for Crispelle Di Riso:
- To make the sauce, dump the garlic as well as pine nuts into a food processor and pulse them into a smooth puree.
- Pour in the olive oil in a steady stream, through an opening in the lid of the processor, while the motor is stilling running until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the water and a generous splash of lemon juice until well combined.
- Sprinkle a dash of salt plus ground black pepper into the sauce, followed by the chopped parsley, and give it a good stir to mix well.
- Scrape it out into a serving bowl and set aside until the fritters are ready to serve.
- To make the fritters, bring a large pot of water to a boil and empty the cups of Arborio rice into it.
- Continue to boil for a minute and reduce it to a simmer.
- Cook over slow flame for 15 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed by the rice, which in turn becomes soft.
- Add a splash of milk into it, followed by sugar and stir them into the rice.
- Leave in the fridge until it is chilled.
- Crack the eggs in a small bowl and whisk them thoroughly, along with baking powder, salt and a dash of vanilla extract into it until well combined.
- Stir it into the rice mixture and dust the flour into it.
- Stir them together until mixed properly and set aside.
- Pour enough oil in a deep- fryer, required for deep frying, and heat it to 375 degrees F.
- Split the rice mixture into 48 small portions and roll each of them into 2’; oval balls.
- Drop them into the hot oil, in batches, and fry each side for a minute or until it turns golden brown.
- Drain them out, using slotted spoon, onto a kitchen paper-lined plate and set aside until all of the fritters are fried.
- Arrange them on a large serving platter and serve hot alongside the pine nut sauce.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons