Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Chicken Saltimbocca:
- 6 (3 oz each) chicken cutlets, flattened with a meat mallet
- 10 oz fresh spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan, grated
- 6 paper-thin prosciutto slices
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 can (14 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
Cooking instructions for Chicken Saltimbocca:
- Toss the chopped spinach with a dash each of seasonings and smother them with a tbsp of oil; set aside.
- Lay out the chicken cutlets onto a working surface and rub a dash of salt as well as pepper all over them.
- Place one prosciutto slice on top of each chicken fillet and set aside.
- Spread a thin layer of dressed spinach onto each prosciutto slice and top it up with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan.
- Starting from the tapered end, begin rolling the chicken into a tight cylinder and insert a toothpick to secure.
- Drizzle rest of the oil in a heavy skillet and heat it over high flame.
- Place the chicken rolls on it and cook one side for a couple of minutes or until it is seared evenly.
- Flip it over to cook the other side similarly for another 2 minutes.
- Empty the cup of chicken broth over them and stir in a splash of fresh lemon juice.
- Cook the mixture until it begins to boil and reduce it to a simmer.
- Cook likewise over moderate heat, covered, for 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked properly.
- Drain out the chicken rolls onto a large plate and continue to simmer the sauce over high flame for another 5 minutes or until it reduces to 2/3 cup.
- Stir in a dash each of seasonings to taste and remove from heat.
- Take out the toothpicks from the chicken rolls and place one onto the centre of each serving plate.
- Drizzle the sauce over them and serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons