Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients needed to make Almond Croquettes With Salmoriglio Sauce:
For the croquette:
- 2 large potatoes, baked with their skin on
- 4 oz flaked alminds, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 garlic cloves, braised in olive oil
- 4 oz all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley
- Dash of grated nutmeg
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the sauce:
- 9 fl oz olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 4 flat leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 anchovies
- 2 tbsp capers
- Lemon juice, as required
Cooking instructions for Almond Croquettes With Salmoriglio Sauce:
- To make the sauce, tip all its ingredients into a food processor and pulse them into a coarse puree; set aside until necessary.
- To make the croquettes, pour oil in a deep fryer and heat it to 350 degrees F.
- Peel off the skin from the baked potatoes and process them with a potato ricer.
- Mash the flesh in a bowl, into a smooth paste and set aside.
- Add the braised garlic into the potatoes and mash the former before stirring it into the mashed flesh.
- Sprinkle a dash of nutmeg over them, followed by the parsley leaves and add the egg yolks; mix them thoroughly until well combined.
- Take portions of the potato mixture in your palm and shape them into small balls.
- Spread the flour on a flat plate and roll the balls on it to coat well; shake off any excess flour and drop them into a separate bowl of beaten egg.
- Spread the flake almonds in a separate plate and transfer the croquettes on it.
- Roll them and press them lightly so that the almonds stick to the balls and lower them into the hot oil.
- Fry the croquettes in batches, if necessary, for a couple of minutes or so, until they turn golden brown.
- Drain them off with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate or bowl lined with paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Divide the croquettes into four serving plates and slice each of them into equal halves.
- Drizzle the prepared salmoriglio sauce over them and serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons