Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Ingredients needed to make Mushrooms and Cheese Calzones:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
For the filling:
- ½ cup cheese, grated
- 3 1/2oz mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tbsp onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Cooking instructions for Mushrooms and Cheese Calzones:
- Warm up your oven to 200 degrees C.
- Soak the yeast in half and half and sprinkle sugar and salt into it.
- Stir until they dissolve and beat in the oil until well combined.
- Fold in the flour, adding it in small batches and kneading it into the mixture until all of it is used up to form a smooth dough.
- Knead it for 10 minutes or until it becomes smooth and more pliable and wrap it up in a damp cloth.
- Set aside in a warm place for an hour so that it rises to become twice its original size.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, drizzle oil into it and heat it over moderate flame.
- Toss the garlic, mushrooms as well as onions into it and sprinkle a dash each of seasonings to taste.
- Stir fry them over high heat for 5-6 minutes or until all their juices disappear and the mixture becomes dry.
- Turn off the heat and stir in a dash of dried oregano or grated cheese into it until blended thoroughly; set aside to cool completely.
- Split the dough into 7-8 equal portions and roll each of them into a ball.
- Roll out each ball into a medium-sized circle with the help of floured rolling pin.
- Place a couple of tbsp filling along one side of each dough disc and fold the other half over the filling to form a half-moon-shaped pastry.
- Press the open ends together so that they stick to each other and lay the calzones out onto a baking tray, side by side.
- Beat the egg slightly to prepare the egg wash and paint it all over the calzones.
- Place the tray with calzones into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry turns crisp and golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons