Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 3 hours
Ingredients needed to make Mutton Soup Kambing:
- 2.5 lb mutton ribs, trimmed and cleaned
- 1 oz galangal, peeled and grounded
- ¾ oz fresh ginger root, peeled and grounded
- ¾ oz green chilies, sliced
- ¾ oz garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 5 oz onions, peeled and chopped
- ½ oz white peppercorns, grounded
- ½ oz white poppy seeds
- 6 black cardamom seeds, crushed
- ¾ oz curry powder
- 2 oz Knorr Perencah seasoning mix
- 1 oz corn oil
- 1 oz coconut milk
- 3 quarts water
- Spring onions, sliced
- Onions, peeled, sliced and fried
- 10 fresh cilantro sprigs, trimmed
Cooking instructions for Mutton Soup Kambing:
- Place the mutton ribs in a large pot and throw in the garlic, onion, chilies as well as galangal.
- Sprinkle the perencah seasoning over them and pour in 3 litres of water into the pot.
- Cook the mixture until it starts boiling and reduce it to a simmer.
- Continue to cook likewise over slow flame for a couple of hours or until the meat is cooked through and turns melt-in-the-mouth tender.
- Skim off the fat floating on top of the simmering stock and tip it into a fine mesh sieve to strain; reserve the strained stock until necessary.
- Pull the meat from the bones and chop them into smaller chunks.
- Toss them into a bowl and keep warm.
- Drizzle corn oil in a clean stock pot and heat it over moderate flame until it shimmers.
- Throw in the ground ginger, white poppy seeds as well as crushed cardamom seeds and sprinkle the curry powder over them.
- Stir fry the spices until they give out a piquant aroma and pour in the coconut milk as well as the reserved stock.
- Stir in the cooked mutton chunks and cook the soup until it starts boiling.
- Lower the heat to low and simmer gently for about 25 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings before ladling it into 10 soup bowls.
- Sprinkle the crispy-fried onions and green onion slices on top and place a cilantro sprig on top of each serving.
- Serve hot alongside bread or steamed white rice.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons