Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Gado Gado:
- 3.5 oz tofu, chopped into small dices
- 7 oz pointed cabbage, shredded
- 3.5 oz tempeh, chopped into small dices
- 3.5 oz bean sprouts
- 7 oz green beans, cleaned, trimmed and sliced into matchsticks
- 7 oz broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 sachet lontong, cooked according to the package instructions and diced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 5 fl oz satay sauce
- 2 oz crispy fried onions
- Prawn crackers
Cooking instructions for Gado Gado:
- Fill a large pot with water and stir in a dash of salt until it dissolves.
- Bring it to a boil and drop in the green beans to cook for about 6 minutes or until just cooked.
- Dunk the broccoli and shredded cabbage during last couple of minutes of cooking and continue to boil.
- Stir in the bean sprouts about half a minute before cooking time gets over and drain them out into a colander.
- Heat oil in a skillet over moderate heat, until it shimmers and toss the tofu cubes in it.
- Stir fry until they turn golden brown in colour and drain them out onto piled-up layers of paper towels to soak away any excess oil.
- Fry the tempeh in a similar fashion until they turn crispy golden brown and drain them onto a separate layer of paper towels.
- Spread the cooked veggies onto a large serving plate and top it up with a layer of fried tofu and tempeh.
- Place the egg quarters over them and scatter the diced lontong.
- Crush and sprinkle the prawn crackers over the ensemble and set aside.
- Cook the satay sauce in a small wok until heated through and pour it all over the gado gado.
- Finish it off with a sprinkling of crispy fried onions and serve it right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons