Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Ingredients needed to make Spicy Turkey Soup:
- 2-3 cups cooked turkey meat, chopped into 1’’ chunks
- ½ cup raw basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpea, drained and washed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup full fat plain yogurt
- 4 cups turkey stock
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp salt, plus more if required
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Cooking instructions for Spicy Turkey Soup:
- Stir in ½ tsp salt in a small saucepan with water and add the rice into it.
- Bring it to a boil and reduce it to a simmer.
- Place a lid on top and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest for another 10 minutes; drain and set aside
- Pour the turkey stock in another medium saucepan and heat it over moderate flame until it starts simmering; turn off the heat and set aside.
- Tip the cup of yogurt into a large pot and whisk in the flour and egg yolk until they blend thoroughly to form a uniform mixture, free of lumps.
- Pour in the warm stock in a continuous, thin stream, while beating it into the mixture at the same time, until all of it is used up and incorporated into the mixture.
- Reheat the mixture and bring it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Empty the can of chickpeas into it, along with the cooked rice and shredded meat.
- Sprinkle a dash of seasonings into it and stir them all together to mix properly.
- Cook for a 3-4 minutes or until heated through and remove from heat.
- Add a knob of butter into a small skillet and melt it over moderate heat
- Throw in the garlic and season with a dash of cayenne pepper as well as sweet paprika.
- Sauté for a couple of minutes, stirring often, until it gives out its pleasant, characteristic aroma and turn off the heat.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls and drizzle the above garlic-paprika butter sauce on top of each serving.
- Serve warm alongside the lemon wedges and squeeze out its juice before sipping the soup in.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons