Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Kothimbir Wada:
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, leaves picked and coarsely chopped
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp asafetida
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp peanuts, roasted and crushed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- Kosher salt to taste
Cooking instructions for Kothimbir Wada:
- Empty a cup of chickpea flour in a bowl and stir in the chopped cilantro, spices, crushed peanuts and a pinch of salt until well combined.
- Pour in water in a thin stream while beating it into the mixture with a hand whisk until they blend together to form a thick and smooth batter.
- Drizzle a tsp of oil in a microwave-safe bowl and spread it all over the base.
- Pour the batter into the bowl and place a lid on top.
- Cook in a microwave oven for about 4 minutes at high or until it turns firm.
- Run a sharp knife along the edges of the steamed cake to loosen it up and flip it over onto a chopping board.
- Slice it into small squares, each an inch wide and set aside.
- Pour rest of the oil in a medium skillet and heat it over moderate flame until it shimmers.
- Lower the chickpea squares into the hot oil and shallow fry each side for half a minute or until it turns crispy golden evenly.
- Drain it out using a slotted spoon, into a plate lined with paper towel to get rid of any excess oil.
- Serve hot alongside spicy Indian chutney.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons