Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Crispy Flat Bread:
- 6 oz all purpose flour
- 6 oz whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
For the topping:
- 1 egg white
- Sesame seeds
- Poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp water, optional
Cooking instructions for Crispy Flat Bread:
- Soak the yeast in a small bowl with warm water and dissolve the sugar into it.
- Give them a nice stir until they dissolve, place a lid on top and let the mixture stand for 10 minutes or until it froths up.
- Mix both the flours in a separate bowl, along with a dash of salt, until well combined and pour in the active yeast mixture.
- Add splashes of water into the mixture and knead them together into a soft dough.
- Place it onto a lightly-floured surface and knead it for 10 minutes to make more smooth and pliant.
- Transfer it into a bowl and spray some water over it to make it moist.
- Cover and set aside in a warm place for an hour to allow the dough to rise to twice its size.
- Meanwhile, warm up your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Return the dough onto the floured surface and knock it down with your knuckles to deflate it.
- Split it into 10 equal portions and roll each of them into a small ball.
- Roll one dough ball into a very thin sheet and lay it out flat onto a baking sheet.
- Make rest of them using remaining dough and arrange them onto baking sheets, so that their edges don’t overlap.
- Whisk the egg white slightly, along with a tbsp of water, to form egg wash and brush it all over the dough sheets.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top, followed by the poppy seeds and transfer the baking sheets into the hot oven.
- Bake them for 20 minutes or until the flat breads crisp up and turn golden.
- Remove from the oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Break them into smaller pieces and serve.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons