Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Lentil Salad:
- 1 lb French green lentils, washed and drained
- ½ medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced finely
- 2 medium leeks, roots and dark green parts chopped off
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 3 fresh Italian parsley sprigs, leaves removed
- 3 tbsp fresh Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar, plus more as necessary
- 1 small bay leaf
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt, plus more if necessary
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for Lentil Salad:
- Slice the leeks longitudinally into equal halves and wash them under cold running water until cleaned.
- Tie the parsley stems and one half of the leek with kitchen twine and drop the bundle into a large saucepan.
- Add the lentils into the pan and pour in water until it stands about 2’’ above the lentils.
- Throw in the crushed garlic as well as bay leaf and place a lid on top of the pan.
- Heat the mixture over moderately high heat until it starts boiling and remove the lid.
- Bring it down to a simmer and continue to cook the lentils for about 15 minutes, while stirring at times.
- Sprinkle a tsp of salt over them, mix well and simmer further for another 10 minutes, until the lentils are just cooked.
- Meanwhile, chop rest of the leek halves finely and set aside.
- Heat half of the measured oil in a large skillet over moderate flame until it shimmers and throw in the carrots, chopped leeks as well as onions.
- Sprinkle a pinch each of ground black pepper and salt over them and sauté for about 4-5 minutes, stirring often, until the carrots soften and the onions turn translucent.
- Adjust the seasonings if necessary and tip it into a large bowl.
- Get rid of the leek bundle, garlic as well as bay leaf from the lentils, using a pair of tongs, and strain it through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Transfer the drained lentils into the bowl with the sautéed mixture and add a splash of red wine vinegar into it.
- Drizzle rest of the olive oil over them and sprinkle a dash of seasonings to taste.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley on top and toss them all together to mix well.
- Serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons