Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients needed to make Shellfish Nage:
- 14 oz mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 12 cooked langoustines, shelled and chopped
- 14 oz clams, rinsed
- 3 scallops, cleaned and roe removed
- 1 cooked lobster, meat removed, shells chopped and reserved
- 3 handful sea purslane, blanched
- 8 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 12 baby carrots, trimmed
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 8 baby turnips, trimmed and halved longitudinally
- 3 tbsp fresh chervil, chopped
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 fl oz white wine
- 3 oz butter
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 ½ fl oz double cream
- 10 fl oz chicken stock
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for Shellfish Nage:
- Add half of the butter into a large skillet and melt it over moderate heat until it foams.
- Throw in the carrot, onion as well as thyme into it and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until they soften but doesn’t change colour.
- Toss the langoustine shells as well as lobster into the mixture and stir them into the mixture along with tomato puree and a dash of cayenne pepper until mixed properly.
- Cook for a minute and stir in a splash of white wine.
- Flambé it and wait until the flames subside and the alcohol is cooked off.
- Pour in the chicken stock and continue to cook the mixture until it starts boiling.
- Bring it down to a simmer and cook further for 8 minutes before transferring it into a food processor.
- Pulse the mixture into a smooth puree and pass it through a fine sieve to smooth it out further.
- Beat in the cream, along with a dash of salt as well as freshly ground black pepper until well combined and return the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Drop in the mussels plus clams and give them a nice stir to coat well with the strained puree.
- Cook for a couple of minutes or until the shells open and get rid of those which remain closed.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop in the baby carrots as well as turnips.
- Cook them for 2 minutes and through in the asparagus before continuing to boil for another minute.
- Drain them out into a colander and dab them with paper towels to blot dry.
- Melt rest of the butter in a skillet and stir fry the scallops, langoustine as well as lobster meat for 4-5 minutes.
- Ladle the prepared soup into a bowl and scatter the stir fried mixture on top of each serving.
- Top it up with the boiled veggies and sprinkle the chervil as well as sea purslane over them.
- Serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons