Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients needed to make Onion and Cavolo Nero Soup:
- 4 large onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 9 oz cavolo nero cabbage
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stick, halved
- 1 carrot, halved
- 1 large potato, diced
- Beef bones, lightly roasted
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 ½ oz butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 3 ½ oz white wine
- 2 ½ oz Gruyere cheese, finely grated
- 2 ½ oz blue cheese
- 3 ½ pints chicken stock
- 1 baguette
Cooking instructions for Onion and Cavolo Nero Soup:
- Pour the stock into a pan and drop in the beef bones, the chopped medium onion, celery as well as carrots.
- Bring the stock to a simmer and continue to cook, with the lid on, for a couple of hours.
- Tip it into a fine mesh sieve and strain it into a bowl; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pan, over low heat and toss the chopped large onions into it.
- Sauté for 15 minutes, stirring often, until they begin to caramelize and pour in 1/3 of the wine.
- Give them a nice stir and continue to cook until they caramelize further and pour in another 1/3 of the wine into it.
- Continue the process of caramelizing until all of the wine is used up and the onions turn tender.
- Dust the flour into it, stir to coat well and cook for one minute before stirring in 2 ½ pints of the strained stock.
- Drop in the potato pieces and bring it to a simmer.
- Continue to cook for 40 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Set aside until it cools down to some extent and pulse it, using a hand-held mixer, until they form a smooth mixture.
- Stir in few splashes of water in case they tend to appear thick and set aside.
- Bring rest of the stock to a boil in a large pot and drop the cavolo nero into it to blanch.
- Tip entire content of the pot into the soup puree and set aside.
- Place both the cheeses into a bowl and stir them until well combined.
- Warm up a grill until it is hot.
- Slice the baguette into thin pieces and place them onto a hot griddle to toast either side.
- Spoon the soup into serving bowls and place a toasted baguette slice on top of each.
- Sprinkle the cheese blend onto each serving and pop the bowls into the hot grill.
- Grill them until the cheese melts and starts bubbling.
- Serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons