Preparation time: 3 hours
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Eggs in Aspic:
- 4 eggs, poached and chilled
- 3 egg whites
- ½ small carrot, chopped
- ½ leek, chopped
- 6 fresh parsley sprigs, chopped
- ½ rib celery chopped
- 3 bell peppers, cored, deseeded and chopped into ½’’ cubes
- 3 fresh tarragon sprigs, chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp unflavoured gelatin powder, dissolved in ½ cup cold water
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp port
- Canola oil, as required
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 tsp peppercorns, crushed
- Baby greens, for garnishing
Cooking instructions for Eggs in Aspic:
- Pour the chicken broth into a 1 quart saucepan and whisk in the egg whites until well combined.
- Toss the carrots, celery and leek chunks into the pan and stir them well together along with the chopped herbs and peppercorns.
- Heat the mixture until it starts boiling, while stirring it relentlessly, for about 5-10 minutes, until the egg whites curdles and forms a soft crust.
- Simmer further over slow flame, undisturbed, for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread a coffee filter onto a sieve and place the latter over a bowl.
- Tip the simmering broth into the strainer and get rid of the residue solids.
- Whisk in a bout of port, followed by the gelatin mixture, until the latter dissolves and sprinkle a dash of salt to season.
- Place the bowl with the above mixture into the fridge to chill it; don’t let it set.
- Lightly oil 4 aspic molds, each of 4 oz capacity, and pour a couple of aspic mixture into each of them.
- Refrigerate them for about 10 minutes or until they are almost set and scatter 6 pepper cubes over each serving.
- Spoon another 1 tbsp aspic mixture on top and return them to the fridge to chill until they are set properly.
- Place the eggs on top of a piled-up layer of paper towels and slice off the irregular corners of the whites.
- Place one egg into each aspic mold and cover ¼ of it with rest of the aspic mixture.
- Leave in the fridge for a couple of hours or until they are set properly.
- Remove the aspic from molds and run a sharp knife along the edges of each aspic to loosen it up.
- Place the molds in a shallow bowl with hot water and let it stand briefly for 5 seconds.
- Flip each mold onto a serving plate to remove the aspic on it and scatter salad greens around them.
- Serve immediately.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons