Preparation time: overnight
Cooking time: 2 hours
Ingredients needed to make Black Pudding Fritters:
- 600 gm black pudding
- 600 gm pork belly, skin scored
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 4 Conference pears, peeled, deseeded and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the coating:
- 4 eggs
- Splash of milk
- 200 gm porridge oats
- 410 gm fresh breadcrumbs
- 130 gm all purpose flour
- Vegetables oil, for deep frying
Cooking instructions for Black Pudding Fritters:
- Warm up your oven to 220 degrees F.
- Sprinkle a dash of salt over the pork belly and rub all over them to coat well.
- Place the pork belly in a roasting pan with the skin side facing up and roast for half an hour or until the surface starts crackling.
- Lower the oven temperature to 120 degrees F and continue to roast for another 1 ½ hours or until it is cooked through.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over moderate heat and throw in the pear chunks.
- Add caster sugar into it and cook for about 25 minutes or until the pears stew and soften enough to turn mushy.
- Mash them further with a fork to smooth it out further and remove from heat; set aside to cool.
- Peel the casing off the black pudding and throw the skin away.
- Chop it into small chunks and toss them into the food processor.
- Pulse them into a smooth puree and split it into two parts.
- Place each portion onto a sheet of wax paper and roll each of them into 20 cm x 5 cm rectangles using the paper.
- Place the rectangles into a refrigerator to set.
- Allow the cool the pork for 15 minutes and peel off the crackling.
- Tear the meat into fine shreds using a couple of forks and place it in a bowl.
- Add a dash of seasonings, chives and fat drippings into it and toss them all together to mix well.
- Split the mixture into two parts and set aside.
- Spread double layers of cling film across a baking pan and place one black pudding sheet into it.
- Spread one portion of the pork mixture over it in a single layer and cover it with the pear sauce.
- Top it up with another layer of pork mixture and spread the 2nd layer of black pudding sheet on top.
- Wrap the surface with another sheet of cling film, place a weight over it and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from fridge and slice it into twenty 5 cm squares.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk thoroughly along with a splash of milk to prepare the egg wash.
- Dust each square with flour and dip it into egg wash to coat well.
- Roll them across a plate with breadcrumbs until well coated and transfer them onto a plate with oats.
- Roll them again to coat well and deep fry them in hot oil at 176 degrees F for 5 minutes or until they crisp up.
- Serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons