Preparation time: 10 mins + 30 mins (inactive)
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Pain Perdu:
- 4 french bread slices, thick
- ¾ cup whole bread
- 3 large eggs,
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Cinnamon sugar, as required
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
Cooking instructions for Pain Perdu:
- Warm up your oven to 500 degrees F with a buttered baking dish places on its middle rack.
- Arrange the bread slices in a single layer across the base of the preheated baking dish and set aside.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk it thoroughly with a hand mixer, along with milk, sugar and a dash of salt.
- Stir in a splash of vanilla extract and drizzle the mixture all over the bread slices.
- Allow the mixture to seep into the bread for a minute and sprinkle a dash of cinnamon sugar all over it.
- Flip the bread slices and sprinkle another round of cinnamon sugar all over them.
- Place a lid on top and set aside for half an hour or until most of the whisked egg blend is soaked by the bread.
- Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes or until they turn golden brown and flip it over to bake the other side in a similar fashion, until they puff up.
- You can also cook it in a skillet and melting a knob of butter in it until it foams and place the soaked bread onto it.
- Fry them for a couple of minute or until the base browns nicely and turn it over to brown the other side in similarly.
- Divide the bread slices between two serving plates and dust some powdered sugar over them.
- Serve warm alongside a fruity syrup or simply honey.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons