Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Chinese Spicy Hotpot:
For the spicy soup base:
- 6 Chinese mushrooms, dried
- 1 large spring onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small fistful Chinese cabbage, thickly sliced
- 1’’ fresh root ginger, peeled
- 2-4 Sichuan chilies, dried
- 2 fresh red chilies, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 small fistful fresh tofu, chopped into 1 chunks
- 1 small handful deep-fried tofu
- 9 oz ready-made fish balls
- 2 oz whole Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 star anises
- 1 small fistful tangerine peel, dried
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- 2 tbsp ground nut oil
- 9 fl oz chili oil
- 1 tbsp chili bean sauce
- 3 pints hot vegetable broth
For the dipping sauce:
- 1 red chili, stemmed, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp black rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp spring onions, finely sliced
- Firm tofu, cubed
- Lamb fillet, thinly sliced
- 9 oz ready-made fishcakes
- Baby sweetcorn, sliced
Cooking instructions for Chinese Spicy Hotpot:
- To cook the soup base, heat a large wok over moderately high flame until it starts shimmering and drizzle the oil into it.
- Throw in the peppercorns as well as dried chilies into it; stir fry briskly until they give out a pungent, spicy aroma and whisk in the sauces to coat well.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and toss the spring onion, mushrooms, ginger, fresh chilies, tangerine peel as well as the star anises into the soup and stir them all together to mix well.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then bring it down to a simmer before cooking it further for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the dipping sauce, add all its ingredients into a small serving bowl and whisk them together until well combined.
- Drizzle the chili oil into the simmering soup, and scatter the sliced cabbage, fish balls and the tofu chunks into it.
- Give them a nice stir until they are distributed evenly and remove from heat.
- Tip it into a fondue and serve the lamb, mushrooms, corn, tofu and fishcakes around it, in separate plates.
- Serve hot alongside the bowl of dipping sauce.
- Allow the guests to cook the ingredients themselves in the spicy soup and dip into the sauce before munching on them.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons