Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Sausage Burgers:
- 4 English muffins, split
- 12 oz fresh pork breakfast sausage, casings peeled off
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, chopped into ½’’ thick rounds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, plus more as necessary
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
Cooking instructions for Sausage Burgers:
- Split the sausage into 4 equal parts and mold each of them into ¼’’ thick patty, so that they are about ½’’ wider than the English muffins.
- Press the middle of each patty with your thumb to make a shallow depression and arrange them on a plate; keep aside.
- Warm up you outdoor grill to 375 degrees F.
- Choose four widest apple slices and set aside.
- Rub the hot grill grate with paper towels, dipped in oil and place the 4 apple slices over it.
- Arrange the patties beside the apple slices, with their depressed-side facing up and place the lid of grill on top.
- Grill for about 3-4 minutes, until their base is seared and flip them over.
- Baste them with a lashing of maple syrup and place the lid back on.
- Grill the other side for about 3-4 minutes, until the meat is properly cooked and the apples soften yet remain firm.
- Transfer them onto a plate and cover loosely with a sheet of foil.
- Grill the muffins on the hot grill for a couple of minutes or until they are toasted.
- Flip them over and place the cheese slices on top of the toasted cut-side of each muffin.
- Place the lid on top and grill for about 3 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Transfer them onto a flat surface and place a grilled patty on one bottom half of a muffin half.
- Place an apple slice on top the patty and cover with the top half of the muffin.
- Make rest of the burgers in a similar manner and serve right away alongside more maple syrup.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons