Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Ingredients needed to make Mushroom Toasts:
- 1 lb fresh button mushrooms
- ¼ cups shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- ¼ cup crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Cognac
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 country bread slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for Mushroom Toasts:
- Warm up your oven to 400 degrees F with a rack placed midway within it.
- Get rid of any moldy mushrooms and trim off their stems.
- Dip them in cold water several times and chop them into ¼’’ chunks.
- Toss them into a large bowl and scatter the garlic as well as chopped thyme on top.
- Drizzle the oil over them and sprinkle a dash each of salt and ground black pepper to season.
- Toss them all together to mix well and tip the mixture into a 13’’x9’’ baking dish.
- Spread them evenly and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, stirring at intervals, until juices ooze out from the mushrooms.
- While the mushrooms roast, melt butter in a small skillet over moderate flame until it foams and throw in the shallots.
- Sprinkle a dash of seasonings into it and sauté for about 3-4 minutes, stirring at times, until the shallots caramelize.
- Turn off the heat and stir in a bout of Cognac.
- Return it to moderate heat and cook for half a minute or until the raw smell of the alcohol ebbs away.
- Remove from heat and add a splashes of lemon juice and vinegar into the mixture.
- Give it a nice stir to mix well and whisk in the crème fraiche until well coated.
- Adjust the seasonings if necessary and set aside.
- Remove the roasted mushrooms from the oven and stir in the above mixture until well combined.
- Place the dish back into the oven and bake for about 5 minutes or until the flavours are infused into the mixture; remove from oven and set aside.
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet side by side and brush a lashing of oil over them.
- Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper over the slices and broil in the oven for a couple of minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Spread the mushroom mixture over them and smother them with the sauce.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons