Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients needed to make Vegetarian Pudding:
For the suet pastry:
- 7 oz self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 3 ½ oz vegetable suet
- 4 fl oz water
- Pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 1 lb 2 oz assorted mushrooms (Portobello, girolle, chestnut and chanterelle), cleaned and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 4 large shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 5 fl oz Irish stout
- 2 tbsp mushrooms ketchup
- 7 fl oz vegetable broth
- 2-3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Cooking instructions for Vegetarian Pudding:
- To make the suet pastry, place the flour in a large mixing bowl and stir in the chopped parsley, suet and a dash of salt until well mixed.
- Pour in water in a thin, steady stream, while stirring it into the mixture until all of it used up and the ingredients gather together to form soft dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly-floured working counter and knead gently for a couple of minutes.
- Wrap it up in a plastic sheet and leave in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes to chill.
- To make the filling, drizzle oil in a skillet and heat it over moderate flame.
- Throw in the garlic as well as the shallots and stir fry them for about 10 minutes or until they soften.
- Sprinkle the chopped herb and add pour the mushroom ketchup into it.
- Add a splash of Irish stout and stir them all together to mix well.
- Cook for a couple of minutes and pour in the vegetable broth, followed by the mushrooms.
- Give it a nice stir until well combined and bring it to a simmer.
- Continue to cook likewise for about 10 minutes or until it thickens slightly.
- Adjust the seasonings and turn off the heat; allow it to cool down slightly.
- Remove the pastry dough from the fridge and split it into 4 equal portions.
- Set a quarter of the firs into a flat portion aside and roll each of it onto a floured surface, into flat disc with the diameter similar to the base of the pudding basin.
- Spread it across the basin and fill it up with ¼ of the filling mixture.
- Roll the reserved dough into another plate circle and paint its edges with small amount of water.
- Place it on top of the filling and press the edges together to seal.
- Get rid of the excess dough hanging out from the sides and place sheet of aluminum foil on top to cover loosely.
- Make the other three pastries in a similar manner and arrange them in a steamer.
- Steam them for about 40-45 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Take them out of the pan, with gloved hands and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the foil and invert them onto serving plates.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons