Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Ingredients needed to make Spicy Tomato Soup:
- 2 cans (28 oz each) whole tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled, halved and chopped into ¼’’ thick slices
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Sour cream, for serving
Cooking instructions for Spicy Tomato Soup:
- Drizzle the olive oil into a large saucepan and heat it over moderate flame until it begins to shimmer.
- Toss the onion slices into it and sprinkle the red pepper flakes on top.
- Sauté the onion for about 10 minutes, stirring periodically, until it softens and turns lucid.
- Empty the can of tomatoes into the pan, along with the juices, followed by measured cups of water.
- Stir them all together until well combined and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce it to a simmer and continue to do so over slow flame for half an hour or until the flavours are infused into the mixture.
- Fold in the basil and season with a dash of salt and fair amount of black pepper.
- Give it a nice stir to mix well and turn off the heat.
- Set aside for about 5 minutes to let it cool down slightly and tip it into a blender.
- Blitz the mixture into a smooth puree and strain through a fine mesh sieve, into a large bowl.
- Press the residues in the sieve to extract as much liquid as possible and throw away the solids.
- Adjust the seasonings and pour the strained soup back into the pan.
- Warm it up over moderately low heat until it gives out bubbles around the edges and ladle it into soup bowls.
- Add a dollop of sour cream on top of each serving and serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons