Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Glamorgan Sausages:
For the sausages:
- 5 oz Caerphilly cheese, finely grated
- 6 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 oz leeks, trimmed and finely sliced
- ½ tsp sea salt, flaked
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 1 oz butter
- 5 tbsp sunflower oil
For the onion-chili relish:
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 2 medium red onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 ½ oz light brown muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
Cooking instructions for Glamorgan Sausages:
- To make the sausages, add a knob of butter into a large skillet and melt it over moderate heat.
- Toss the sliced leek into it and stir fry for 8-10 minutes or until they soften yet doesn’t change colour.
- Place 3 ½ oz of the breadcrumbs into a large mixing bowl, along with cheese as well as chopped herbs and stir them all together until mixed properly.
- Place the egg yolks in a separate bowl, followed by a dash each of seasonings as well as mustard and blend them into a uniform mixture.
- Transfer the fried leeks into the breadcrumb mixture and pour in the whisked egg yolk mixture.
- Give them a nice stir until well combined and split the mixture into 8 equal portions.
- Roll each of them into sausage-shaped pieces and lay them out onto a shallow dish, lined earlier with a cling film.
- Beat the egg whites in a bowl slightly until they form foams and set aside.
- Scatter 1 ½ oz the breadcrumbs onto a plate set aside too.
- Lower the sausages into the beaten egg whites and transfer them onto the plate with breadcrumbs.
- Roll them to coat evenly and transfer them onto a greased baking tray.
- Set them aside in a fridge for half an hour to chill.
- To make the relish, drizzle oil in a large skillet and throw in the onions.
- Sauté for 20 minutes, stirring often, until they soften and brown slightly.
- Sprinkle the chilli into it, followed by garlic and stir them into the relish.
- Cook the mixture for 5 minutes, while stirring all the time and sprinkle the sugar into it.
- Add a splash of vinegar into it, stir and bring up the relish to a simmer.
- Cook until the mixture thickens and appears somewhat glossy.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Spoon it into a serving bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed skillet over moderate heat and lower the sausages into it, few at a time, to fry for 10 minutes.
- Flip them over from time to time while frying, until they crisp up and turn golden brown; drain them out onto a paper-towel lined plate and arrange them onto a large platter.
- Serve them warm alongside the relish.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons