Makes: 24 muffins
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 22 mins
Ingredients needed to make Bacon Muffins With Cream Cheese Frosting:
For the muffins:
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 tbsp reserved bacon fat
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
For the frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- A bunch of chives, sliced
Cooking instructions for Bacon Muffins With Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Warm up your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Arrange the bacon strips on a baking sheet and cook them in the oven for about 12 minutes or until they turn crispy.
- Transfer them to a plate lined with kitchen paper to soak away any excess grease and set a tbsp of the bacon fat aside.
- Allow the bacon to cool and slice them into smaller bits.
- Grease a 24 count mini muffin mold with non-stick cooking spray and keep it aside until required.
- Toss the flour and cornmeal together until mixed thoroughly and stir in a dash of salt, brown sugar and baking powder.
- Crack the egg in a separate bowl and whisk it thoroughly, along with milk, until it turns a pale yellow in colour.
- Pour it into the dry mixture, followed by the bacon fat and melted butter.
- Sprinkle ¾ cup of the bacon bits over it and stir them all together thoroughly to form a uniform batter, free of lumps.
- Pour a tbsp of batter into each muffin cup until 1/3 of it remains unfilled.
- Bake the muffins in the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until they are baked through; insert a skewer through each cupcake to check their doneness.
- Set aside outside the oven, to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream cheese in a medium bowl and add a splash of honey to it, followed by hot sauce.
- Beat them together until well combined to form a soft creamy frosting.
- Fold in ¾ of the chives in it until distributed evenly throughout the frosting and spoon it into a pastry bag, fitted with a star nozzle.
- Pipe some of the frosting onto the surface of each muffin and crumble some of the bacon on to;.
- Top it up with rest of the chopped chives and serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons