Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Wild Mushrooms and Parmesan Custard:
- 3 ½ oz yellow chanterelle mushrooms, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 3 ½ oz porcini mushrooms, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 thin pancetta slices, sliced into thin strips
- 4 ¼ oz parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ shallot, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 7 fl oz whole milk
- 5 ½ oz whipping cream
- 7 fl oz reduced chicken stock, warmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ oz unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for Wild Mushrooms and Parmesan Custard:
- Warm up your oven to 300 degree F and rub a small splodge of butter within four ramekins to grease; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and throw in the mushrooms to sauté for a minute, while stirring often, until they give out water.
- Drain them into a bowl and set aside; throw away the cooking liquid.
- Add a large knob of butter into the skillet and melt until it foams and turn golden brown.
- Toss the garlic, shallots as well as pancetta strips into it and sauté for a minute before stirring in the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle a dash of salt to season and continue to stir fry them for the next couple of minutes; remove from heat and set aside in a bowl to cool.
- Spoon the cooled mushroom mixture into the greased ramekins and set aside.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk them thoroughly along with whipping cream until the yolks break down.
- Beat in the cheese, egg yolks as well as milk until they are blended uniformly and season with a dash each of salt plus ground black pepper.
- Spoon ¼ of it onto the mushrooms, in each ramekin and arrange them into a baking dish.
- Pour in enough cold water so that they stand halfway along the side of the custard molds and bake in the hot oven for 25 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool the custards down to some extent.
- Remove the baked custard from the ramekins and place one onto each serving plate.
- Drizzle the reduced chicken stock over each serving and serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons