Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients needed to make Cheddar Cheese Custard:
For the cheddar custard:
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- 10 fl oz double cream
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp English mustard
- Salt to taste
For the dressing:
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- 7 fl oz light olive oil
- 2 fl oz balsamic vinegar
For the beetroot salad:
- ½ striped candy beetroot
- ½ red beetroot
- ½ orange beetroot
- 6 baby beetroot, cooked and halved longitudinally
- 7 oz small red vein sorrel
- 1 small packet ready-cooked beetroot
- 3 ½ oz watercress
Cooking instructions for Cheddar Cheese Custard:
- Warm up your oven to 310 degrees f.
- Place 4 oz of the cheese in a heavy-based pan and whisk in the cream as well as mustard until mixed well.
- Heat the mixture over low flame until the cheese melts and blends into the mixture until becomes smooth.
- Sprinkle a dash each of salt plus ground black pepper and stir it into the mixture until well combined.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl and beat them thoroughly until the yolks break down.
- Pour in the cheddar cheese mixture gradually and beat it into the mixture at the same time until they blend thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and strain it into a bowl.
- Tip it into an 8’’x4’’ baking dish and scatter rest of the cheese over it.
- Place it into a deep-bottomed roasting pan and fill half of it with boiling water.
- Place the entire ensemble into the hot oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the mixture is set yet appear slightly wobbly when shaken lightly.
- To make the dressing, whisk the icing sugar into the balsamic vinegar until it dissolves and beat in the light olive oil to mix further.
- To make the salad, peel off the skin of raw beetroots and chop it into thin slices.
- Chop the cooked beetroots into small cubes and throw them into a bowl.
- Toss them well together and pour the prepared dressing over them.
- Toss them further to coat well and pile it up onto serving plates.
- Scatter the watercress and sorrel leaves on top of each serving and place the baked cheddar custard beside it.
- Serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons