Preparation time: 20 mins + 30 mins (inactive)
Cooking time: 25 mins
Ingredients needed to make Bacon and Cheese Straws:
- One 13 oz puff pastry
- 3 ½ oz mature cheddar, grated
- 14 streaky bacon slices
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- All purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cooking instructions for Bacon and Cheese Straws:
- Spread a grease-proof paper across a baking tray and set aside.
- Place the pastry block onto a lightly floured working counter and flatten it out, using a floured rolling pin, into a ¼’’ thick, large rectangle.
- Rotate the pastry so that the longer side will face you and spoon the mustard all over it.
- Scatter the grated cheese on top, followed by a dash of ground black pepper.
- Arrange the bacon slices, side by side yet spaced apart, on top of the cheese layer and slice the pastry along the gap between two bacon slices.
- Twist each strip of pastry several times so that they are curled into a straw-like structure.
- Lay it down on the prepared tray and prepare rest of the cheese straws in a similar fashion.
- Leave them in the fridge for half an hour to chill and warm up your oven to 425 degrees F in the meantime.
- Remove the tray from the fridge and smother them with a lashing of the beaten egg to glaze.
- Lower the oven temperature to 400 degrees F and pop the tray with cheese straws, into the oven.
- Bake them for 25 minutes or until the cheese straws puff up and turn golden brown.
- Take them out of the oven and place them on the wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve at room temperature.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons