Yields: 4 burgers
Preparation time: 50 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Salmon Burgers:
- 4 brioche buns, split
- 1 ¼ lb salmon fillet, skinned and pin bones removed
- ½ ts lemon zest, grated
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp panko or Japanese breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- Arugula leaves, rinsed
- Tartar sauce, as required
Cooking instructions for Salmon Burgers:
- Chop ¾ of the salmon fillet into ¼’ chunks and toss them into a bowl.
- Chop rest of the salmon roughly into uneven chunks and throw them into a food processor.
- Pour in the mayonnaise, mustard as well as a splash of lemon juice and sprinkle the grated lemon zest plus cayenne pepper over them.
- Whiz them into a fine paste and pour it over the salmon cubes in the bowl.
- Sprinkle the chopped scallions, ½ tsp salt and large pinch of ground black pepper over them.
- Scatter 2 tbsp panko into it and stir them all together gently to mix well.
- Spread a sheet of parchment paper onto a baking sheet and grease it with a lashing of olive oil.
- Split the salmon mixture into 4 portions and place them on the parchment paper separately.
- Pat each patties with moist hands until each of them are 4’ in diameter and ¾’’ in thickness.
- Place a plastic wrap on top loosely to cover and leave in the fridge for at least half an hour or until firm.
- Warm up your broiler in the meantime.
- Spread rest of the panko onto a shallow dish and place the salmon patties onto them.
- Flip them over to coat either side evenly and give them a gentle press so that the breadcrumbs remain adhered to the patties.
- Heat a lashing of olive oil in a large skillet over moderately high heat and place the patties onto it, two at a time, to avoid overcrowding.
- Cook each side for 3-4 minutes, flipping them halfway through cooking, until both sides turn golden brown and the patties are cooked through.
- Transfer them into a plate, lined with kitchen papers to soak away any excess oil.
- Sprinkle a dash of salt over them.
- While the salon patties cook, arrange the buns onto a broiler pan, with their crustier side facing up and toast them in a broiler for a couple of minutes.
- Place one salmon patty onto bottom half of a bun and spread a splodge of tartar sauce over it.
- Top it up with an arugula leaf and place the top half of the bun on it to cover.
- Assemble rest of the salmon burgers in a similar fashion.
- Serve immediately.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons