Yields: 4 cups
Preparation time: 10 mins + 30 mins (inactive)
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Creole Shrimp Pecans:
- 1 lb raw pecans
- 1 oz dried shrimp, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Creole seasoning
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
Cooking instructions for Creole Shrimp Pecans:
- Place a rack midway within the oven and warm it up to 300 degrees F.
- Spread the chopped shrimp on a rimmed baking sheet, in an even layer and roast in the hot oven for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the grated lemon zest over them and toss briefly to coat well.
- Spread them back onto the sheet and bake further for another 5 minutes or until the zest dries up.
- Place the sheet onto a wire rack, outside the oven and set aside for 10 minutes or until they cool down to room temperature.
- Tip the shrimps into a spice grinder, along with the dried lemon zest and pulse them into a fine powder.
- Spoon it into a small bowl and stir in the creole seasoning to mix well; set aside.
- Turn up the oven temperature to 400 degrees F and preheat it further.
- Place the pecans in a large bowl and drizzle the oil over them.
- Toss them together to coat well and spread them across a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast the nuts for about 15 minutes, stirring them halfway while baking, until the nuts are toasted and turn brown in colour.
- Tip the nuts into the same large bowl and sprinkle the shrimp-Creole powder over them.
- Stir them all together to coat the nuts well with the mixture.
- Transfer the pecans back to the baking sheet and spread them in an even layer.
- Set aside for half an hour or until they cool down to room temperature.
- Transfer them into an airtight container and store for as long as 5 days at room temperature.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons