Yields: 4 burgers Preparation time: 10 mins Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Bacon Cheeseburgers:
For the burgers:
- 1 ½ lb ground chuck (15-20% fat)
- 8 Swiss cheddar cheese slices
- 8 bacon slices, halved crosswise
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Sliced pickles
- Iceberg lettuce, rinsed
- Mayonnaise, as required
- Ketchup, as required
- Sliced tomatoes
Cooking instructions for Bacon Cheeseburgers:
- Warm up your oven to 200 degrees F with a rack positioned in its middle.
- Spread a baking sheet across a wire rack and set aside.
- Split the ground meat into 4 equal parts and mold each of them into ½’’ thick patty, so that it is an inch broader than the buns.
- Poke the middle of each patty with your thumb to make a 1 ½’ wide depression.
- Toss the bacon pieces into a large skillet and fry for 10 minutes over moderate heat, flipping them once, until they brown nicely and crisp up.
- Drain them out onto piled-up layers of kitchen papers to get rid of any excess oil.
- Skim off half of the rendered fat from the skillet and set aside.
- Run either side of the meat patties with a dash of salt and ground black pepper generously.
- Reheat the fat in the pan over moderate heat and place a couple of patties into it, so that the indented side is facing up.
- Cook one side for about 4 minutes or until the base browns and turn them over.
- Place a couple of cheese slices on top of each patty and continue to sear them for another 4 minutes, or until they are cooked enough to remain slightly pink in the middle and the cheese melts.
- Arrange them onto the baking sheet and keep warm in the hot oven.
- Wipe out the fat from the pan, using kitchen papers, and pour rest of the reserved fat into it.
- Reheat it over moderate heat and cook rest of the patties in it in a similar fashion.
- Place one cheese-topped patty onto the bottom half of a bun and arrange 4 bacon pieces on top.
- Add a dollop of mayonnaise on top and place an iceberg lettuce leaf over it.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top and sprinkle the pickles over it.
- Place the top half of the bun to close the burger and assemble rest of them similarly.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons