Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients needed to make Stuffed Tomatoes:
For the tomato sauce:
- 2 lb 3 oz ripe plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and sliced
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 pinches granulated sugar
- 2 pinches freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pinches salt
- 3 ½ fl oz olive oil
For the stuffed tomatoes:
- 7 oz ground pork
- 7 oz ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 fresh tarragon sprig, leaves picked and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 oz Comte cheese, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus more as necessary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for Stuffed Tomatoes:
- To make the tomato sauce, drizzle oil in a pan and heat it over moderate flame until it starts shimmering.
- Add the garlic plus onion into it and sauté gently for about 3-4 minute, stirring often, until they soften.
- Spoon in the tomato puree and give it a nice stir to coat well.
- Continue to sauté for 1 minute and stir in the chopped tomatoes, followed by a dash of seasonings to taste.
- Cook the sauce until it starts simmering and place a lid on top to cook further for 20 minutes over slow flame.
- Adjust the seasonings if necessary and fold in the basil leaves.
- Strain it through a fine-mesh sieve and return the strained sauce back into the pan.
- Warm up your oven to 350 degrees F
- To make the stuffed tomatoes, slice off small portions of the tomato bases so that they can sit flat on a plate without toppling down.
- Chop off 1/3 of the tomatoes from top and set them aside.
- Scrap out the flesh from the interior of the tomatoes and place them in a bowl.
- Drizzle the juices into the tomato sauce and give it a nice stir until well combined.
- Place rest of its ingredients in a bowl, except cheese, and stir them all together to mix well.
- Add half of the cheese into it and stir it into the filling.
- Sprinkle a dash of seasonings into the hollowed cavity of each tomato and stuff ¼ of the pork mixture into each of them.
- Sprinkle rest of the cheese on top and place the reserved tomato tops over each stuffing.
- Grease a baking dish with a lashing of oil and arrange the tomatoes on it.
- Smother them with more olive oil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the tomatoes soften and the stuffing is cooked properly.
- Warm up the tomato sauce and drizzle it all over the stuffed tomatoes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons