Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Ingredients needed to make Salmon-Wrapped Scallops:
- 12 slices smoked salmon, thinly sliced into ½’’ strips
- 10 dry sea scallops
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 10 toothpicks
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup dry dates, chopped
Cooking instructions for Salmon-Wrapped Scallops:
- To make the sauce, pour the orange juice into a small saucepan and whisk in the honey until well combined.
- Throw in the chopped dates and heat the mixture over moderate flame, until it starts boiling.
- Reduce it to simmer and continue to cook likewise over moderately low flame, until the sauce thickens considerably; keep warm.
- Slice a couple of salmon strips into 1’’x ¼ ‘’ smaller strips.
- Run the tip of the knife along the middle of the scallops to make a cut.
- Wrap few salmon strips around one scallop, while pushing them slightly through the cut to keep the strips in place.
- Wrap 10 longer strips of the salmon around that scallop and insert a toothpick through it so that it passes through the point where the strips overlaps, to secure.
- Wrap rest of the scallops in a similar fashion and set aside.
- Heat a lashing of olive oil in a skillet and arrange the wrapped scallops on it, 4 at a time, to avoid overcrowding
- Cook one side for a couple of minutes and flip it over to cook the other side in a similar manner until they brown evenly and are cooked through.
- Arrange them on small serving plates, two on each plate and keep warm until the other wrapped scallops are fried.
- Drizzle a spoonful of sweet date sauce over each serving and serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons