Preparation time:15 mins + 4 hours (inactive)
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Rabanadas:
- 1 medium sweet baguette
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup condensed milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 6 tbsp whole milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Cooking instructions for Rabanadas:
- Slice the baguette into 1’’ thick slices.
- Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk in a splash of whole milk, condensed milk, vanilla extract and measured salt until well combined into an even mixture.
- Tip it into a shallow dish, large enough to accommodate all the baguette slices.
- Arrange the slices into the pan and flip them over to coat either side with the egg mixture.
- Wrap a plastic sheet on top of the dish and leave in the fridge overnight or at least for 4 hours, so that the egg blend seeps into the bread completely.
- Stir a dash of ground cinnamon and cocoa powder into the sugar until mixed properly and spread it out into a shallow dish; set aside.
- Pour in enough oil in a medium pot, so that it stands a couple of inches from the case and heat it to 330 degrees F, as indicated by an instant-read thermometer.
- Drain the soaked bread slices out from the egg mixture and let any excess drip off.
- Dip 4-6 of them into the hot oil carefully and deep fry them for 4-5 minutes per side, until they turn deep golden brown.
- Drain them out onto layers of absorbent papers piled up onto a plate and set aside until all the French toasts are fried.
- Transfer them onto the plate with cocoa-cinnamon mixture and flip them over to coat either side evenly.
- Give each of them a nice shake to get rid of any excess and serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons