Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Ingredients needed to make Pears and Butternut Squash Soup:
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 3 ripe pears, peeled and sliced
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp fresh root ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 cups water
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp light cream
Cooking instructions for Pears and Butternut Squash Soup:
- Warm up your oven to 350 degree F and spread a piece of parchment paper over a baking sheet; set aside.
- Drizzle 4 tsp oil in a large pot and heat over moderate flame until it shimmers.
- Toss the chopped onion as well as butternut squash into it and stir fry for 10 minutes or until they turn tender.
- Sprinkle the chopped garlic into the mixture, followed by a tbsp of ginger and continue to sauté for another minute while stirring regularly.
- Empty the cups of water into the pot, followed by a dash of salt to season and bring the mixture to a rolling boil over high flame.
- Reduce it to a simmer and continue to cook, partially covered, for 20 minutes or until the squash appears cooked when teased with a fork.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle rest of the chopped ginger and ground cinnamon over the pear slices and toss them well along with remaining oil to coat properly.
- Scatter the spiced pear slices onto the lined baking sheet and place them in the middle shelf of the oven to roast for 25 minutes or until they soft yet not mushy.
- Remove from oven and reserve 12 pear slices.
- Plop rest of them into the simmering soup and pour it into a food processor, in batches.
- Pulse it into a smooth puree and return it into the pot.
- Cook over slow flame to keep warm.
- In the meantime, toss the chocolate chunks into a microwave-safe bowl and pop it into the oven.
- Melt the chocolate on high for a minute and give it a quick stir.
- Return it into the microwave oven and cook for another half a minute or so to melt it completely.
- Whisk in half of the cream to thin out the melted chocolate and set aside.
- Whip rest of the cream until it forms soft peaks and set aside.
- Spoon the hot soup into serving bowls and arrange a couple of pear slices over each serving to garnish.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate-cream mixture on top and add a small dollop of whipped cream over each serving of soup.
- Serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons