Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 90 mins
Ingredients needed to make vegetarian pho:
- 1 package fresh flat rice noodles or banh pho
For the broth:
- 14 oz vegetable broth
- Leaves of a leek
- 1 fresh ginger root, peeled
- 1 yellow onion
- Soy sauce, as required
- ¾ tbsp Chinese five spice
- 5 star anise
- Water, as required
- 1 tbsp sugar
For the mock meat:
- 1 can (10 oz) of mock meat, liquid reserved
- Stem of a leek
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- Vegetable oil, as required
- Dash of mushroom seasoning
- Soy sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking instructions for vegetable pho:
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions; drain and place it under running water before setting it aside.
- Pour vegetable broth in a medium stock pot and empty 10-12 cups of water into it.
- Peel off the outer layer of the onion and drop it into the broth.
- Crush the ginger in a mortar and add it to the broth along with the leaves of the leek.
- Plop in the star anise florets and heat the mixture over high flame until it starts boiling.
- Cook the broth for an hour or until the onions as well as ginger turns tender.
- Throw away the leek leaves and stir in the Chinese five spice as well as sugar.
- Add a splash of soy sauce and give it a nice stir to mix.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer the broth for another 15 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, slice the leek stems into fine strips.
- Chop the mock meat and mushrooms into bite-sized chunks; you can also swap mock meat for tofu.
- Drizzle oil in a medium-sized wok to heat it over moderate flame.
- Throw in the leek strips and stir fry for a couple of minutes, or until they turn golden brown.
- Stir in the mushrooms as well as mock meat to the golden leeks.
- Pour in half of the reserved liquid into the sauteed mixture and stir them all together along with a dash of mushroom seasoning and lots of black pepper.
- Pour in the soy sauce to season and give it a nice stir.
- Arrange a bed of noodles in a soup bowl and top it up with the above mixture.
- Ladle the warm broth over them and sprinkle the topping of your choice.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons