Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Bo Luc Lac:
- 2/3 lb beef sirloin steak, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- ¼ ripe pineapple, chopped into ¼’’ thick, bite-sized slices
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 Thai bird chiles, chopped
- 3 cups watercress, rinsed and torn into bite-sized sprigs
- ¼ red onion, longitudinally cut into thin slices
- ½ cup Asian basil leaves, halved
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 bsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
Cooking instructions for Bo Luc Lac:
- Pour the fish sauce and lime juice onto a large bowl and stir in the chiles and sugar until the latter dissolves, set aside.
- Pour the soy sauce as well as oyster sauce into a medium bowl and give it a quick whisk to mix well.
- Toss the beef chunks into the bowl and stir them all together to coat well with the marinade.
- Drizzle oil in a large skillet and heat it over high flame until it starts shimmering.
- Throw in the garlic and stir fry briskly for 10 seconds or until it gives out a characteristic aroma.
- Place the beef into it and sauté them for a couple of minutes, stirring often, until they get seared along their edges.
- Transfer them into the bowl with the lime juice-fish sauce mixture and throw in the pineapple slices.
- Scatter the red onion and Asian basil leaves over them and toss them well together to mix well.
- Arrange a bed of watercress leaves on the serving platter and top it up with the tomato wedges.
- Pile up the beef mixture onto the watercress-tomato bed and drizzle the dressing over them.
- Serve alongside steamed rice or warm baguette.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons