Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 min
Ingredients needed to make Pineapple and Seafood Curry:
For the curry paste:
- 4 bird’s eye red chillies
- 1 tbsp chopped galangal
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, outer leaves peeled off and inner core chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh turmeric, chopped
- 3 tbso coriander root, chopped
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 kaffir lime, juiced and zest grated
- 2 tsp dried shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the curry:
- 7 oz scallops, coral removed
- 10 oz raw prawns, shelled, cleaned and deveined
- 4 spring onions, sliced into 1’’ pieces
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves
- Handful of fresh holy basil leaves
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
- 3 tbsp curry paste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 18 fl oz coconut milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
Cooking instructions for Pineapple and Seafood Curry:
- To make the curry paste, dump all its ingredients into a blender along with a splash of water and pulse them thoroughly into a smooth paste.
- Spoon them into an air-tight container and store them in the fridge for as long as 4 days.
- To make the curry, drizzle oil in a wok and heat it over moderate flame until it shimmers.
- Spoon in the curry pasta and sauté for a minute, stirring continuously, until it gives out a spicy aroma.
- Toss the scallops as well as prawns into it and give them a nice stir to coat well with the paste.
- Continue to cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often, and pour in a splash of fish sauce.
- Drop in the kaffir lime leaves, followed by a dash of sugar and stir them all together to mix well.
- Cook for a minute and drain the seafood out, with the help of slotted spoon, into a plate and keep warm.
- Pour in the coconut milk into the simmering mixture and stir to blend them together.
- Bring the curry to a boil and reduce it to a simmer.
- Cook likewise for another couple of minutes and drop in the pineapple chunks
- Simmer further for 5 more minutes and dump the scallops as well as prawns back into the curry.
- Sprinkle the basil leaves as well as spring onions into it and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring at times, until heated through.
- Ladle the curry into serving bowls and place a basil sprig on top of each serving.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or fresh salad.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons