Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Khao Soy Kai:
- ¾ lb boneless chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb Chinese dried noodles
- 1/3 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Cooking instructions for Khao Soy Kai:
- Pour oil in a saucepan and heat it over moderate flame.
- Throw in the garlic and sauté for a minute before stirring in the red curry paste.
- Continue to stir for another minute, stirring often until it softens and mash it with the back of a spoon.
- Toss the chicken chunks into it and stir fry for a couple of minutes or until they brown slightly.
- Pour in the coconut milk as well as chicken broth and sprinkle the ground turmeric and a pinch of salt into it.
- Whisk in a dash of soy sauce and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce it to a gentle simmer and cook likewise for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is properly cooked.
- Stir in a splash of lime juice until well combined and turn off the heat.
- Place a cover on top and keep warm.
- Drop the noodles in boiling salted water and cook for about 7 minutes or until cooked al dente.
- Drain them out into a colander and rinse under cold running water to keep the strands separated.
- Drain them out again and pile them into serving bowls.
- Ladle the warm curry onto it and top it up with green onions, cilantro as well as shallots.
- Serve hot.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons