Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Ingredients needed to make Khao Pad Naem:
- 5 cups rice, cooked, drained and cooled
- 1 large package fermented pork, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp freshly ground white pepper
- ½ bird’s eye chili, deseeded and chopped
- Spring onions
- Few fresh cilantro sprigs
Cooking instructions for Khao Pad Naem:
- Drizzle oil in a large wok and heat it over high flame until it shimmers.
- Throw in the garlic and sauté briefly, stirring often, until it turns fragrant.
- Stir in the fermented pork chunks as well as onion slices and continue to stir fry for another couple of minutes or until the meat browns.
- Empty the cups of cooked rice into it and stir them into the mixture, breaking them up with a wooden spoon at the same time.
- Cook the rice-pork mixture for about 2-3 minutes, stirring periodically to coat well with the oil and add a splash of fish sauce.
- Sprinkle the ground white pepper as well as sugar on top and give them a nice stir to mix well.
- Shift the mixture to one side of the wok and crack the eggs at the other side.
- Cook them for a while, stirring vigorously, until they are scrambled and set.
- Fold the scrambled eggs into the rice mixture until they are distributed evenly throughout it and adjust the seasonings.
- Pile it up onto serving plates and sprinkle some spring onions, fresh cilantro and chopped chili on top.
- Serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons