Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 2 hours
Ingredients needed to make Gaeng Hung Lay:
- 1 lb pork shoulder, diced
- 1 lb pork belly, diced
- 2 tbsp ginger, shredded
- 2 tbsp pickled ginger
- 2 tbsp baby garlic
- 2 tbsp pickled garlic
- 3 oz peanuts, toasted
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 pint chicken stock
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp Thai curry powder
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
For the curry paste:
- 20 red chillies
- 2 tbsp lemon grass, coarsely sliced
- 4 tbsp shallots, chopped
- 2 tbsp Thai ginger, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp shredded ginger
- 1 red chili, finely sliced
Cooking instructions for Gaeng Hung Lay:
- For the paste, dump all its ingredients into a blender and pulse them into a smooth paste.
- Drizzle oil in a large wok and wait until it heats up.
- Add a large dollop of paste into the hot pan and fry for a couple of minutes or until it turns fragrant.
- Toss the diced pork into a large bowl, along with a dash of cinnamon and Thai curry powder, until the meat is coated well with the spices.
- Throw in the seasoned pork into the fried paste and sauté for about 3-4 minutes, stirring at times, until they brown slightly.
- Add splashed of the sauces and continue to stir fry for 5 more minutes or until the pork is caramelized.
- Pound the young and pickled garlic as well as the pickled finger with a mortar and pestle and stir the mixture into a pot.
- Add a splash of chicken stock to the mixture and heat the mixture until it starts boiling.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and place a banana leaf on top of the pan to cover.
- Simmer gently for a couple of hours until the pork is cooked through.
- Sprinkle the shredded ginger and toasted peanuts into the simmering curry, during the half an hour of cooking and continue to simmer.
- Ladle it into serving bowls and top it up with more shredded ginger as well as red chili slices.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons