Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Ingredients needed to make Chicken Curry in Crispy Rice Cups:
- 750 gm chicken thigh fillets, trimmed and chopped into 2 cm dices
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, finely shredded
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 ½ tbsp plain flour
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 165 ml light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp store-brought Thai green curry paste
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
Cooking instructions for Chicken Curry in Crispy Rice Cups:
- Warm up your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Grease six ¾ cup capacity muffin pans with few drops of oil and line them with sheets of parchment paper.
- Crack the egg into a large bowl and beat in the flour until they blend together into a smooth mixture.
- Empty the cup of cooked rice into it and stir it into the mixture until well coated.
- Add ½ cup of this rice mixture into each pan and press firmly along the sides plus base, using moist fingers, to hollow out the centre and form pie shell.
- Pop the pans into the hot oven and bake them for 15 minutes or until they become firm and turn golden slightly.
- Take them out of the oven and set aside.
- Drizzle oil in a saucepan and heat until it shimmers.
- Throw in the onions and sauté, while stirring often, until it softens.
- Drop the chicken chunks into it and sauté further for 5 more minutes, while stirring from time to time, until they brown slightly.
- Spoon in the curry paste and give them a nice stir to coat well.
- Cook the mixture for 1 more minute and pour in the coconut milk.
- Stir to mix well and bring the curry to a boil over high flame.
- Reduce the flame to medium-low and bring it down to a simmer.
- Cook likewise for 10 minutes or until the curry turns thicker.
- Turn off the heat and add a splash of lime juice into it.
- Sprinkle the basil leaves on top and stir them into the curry to mix well.
- Spoon it into the baked rice cups and serve warm.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons