Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Ingredients needed to make Ca Kho To:
- 1 ½ lb red snapper fillets, chopped into 4’’ chunks
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 ginger slices, julienned
- 1 tbsp fresh chili pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
Cooking instructions for Ca Kho To:
- Place the sugar in a 2-quart, heavy-based saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, while stirring it constantly, until it melts and caramelizes.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the fish sauce before the caramel turns stiffer.
- Turn the heat back on to low and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Continue to boil gently for a couple of minutes while stirring it relentlessly to prevent it from sticking to the base of the pan.
- sprinkle the ginger, shallots as well as chopped chili into it and give them a nice stir untik distributed evenly throughout the sauce.
- Place the fish pieces onto the simmering sauce and sprinkle ground black pepper on top generously.
- Flip the fish over to coat well with the sauce and bring the mixture back to a boil.
- Reduce it to a simmer, place a lid on top and continue to cook likewise for half an hour, flipping them over occasionally.
- Once the fish is cooked through, tip it into a large serving bowl and serve alongside steamed rice.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons