Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Ingredients needed to make Fish Baps:
For the baps:
- 4 large flatfish fillets, skinned and deboned
- 4 soft whole wheat baps or burger buns
- ½ mug all purpose flour
- 25 gm Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 punnet cress
- Olive oil
For the peas:
- 500 gm frozen peas
- 1 medium potato
- ½ bunch fresh mint
For the sauce:
- 250 gm fat-free plain yogurt
- 6 cornichons
- 1 gem lettuce
- 1 lemon
- ½ bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp capers
Cooking instructions for Fish Baps:
- Place the baps or burger buns on oven rack, with the crustier side facing down, and toast them in the oven at the lowest temperature setting.
- Chop the potato into 0.5 cm thick slices and arrange them on a small skillet.
- Fill it up with boiling water and place a lid on top.
- Cook the mixture over moderate heat, until it begins to boil.
- Meanwhile, place the fish fillets on a wax paper and rub a dash of seasonings all over it, followed by cayenne pepper.
- Dust flour on top of them to dredge evenly and set aside.
- Drizzle a couple of tbsp olive oil into another skillet and arrange the fish fillets into it.
- Sear them over medium heat, for 3-4 minutes, until they turn golden brown and scatter some of the grated Parmesan cheese on top.
- Turn it over to cook the other side until it turns crispier; set aside and keep warm.
- Toss the frozen peas into the same skillet, along with the potatoes, drained out into a colander.
- Tear the mint leaves into it and place a lid on top; sear them for a couple of minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Toss the lettuce, parsley, cornichons and capers into a food processor and pour in the yogurt; blitz them into a smooth sauce and adjust the seasonings.
- Drain the sautéed peas and potatoes out into a clean processor and add a splash of lemon juice into it.
- Pulse them into a smooth puree and whisk in a dash of seasonings.
- Once the fish is cooked to perfection, remove them from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Take the toasted burgers out and place the one fish fillet in the bottom half of each burger.
- Spread the mushy peas across the fillet and top it up with pinches of cress.
- Add a dollop of prepared sauce on top and arrange the lemon wedges over it.
- Place top half of the bap over it and place it on a serving plate.
- Make rest of the fish baps in a similar fashion and serve right away.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons